Before A Trip On The Water … Educate Yourself
Educate yourself prior to a trip by learning rules and regulations, planning for your trip, taking recreation skills classes and knowing how to operate your equipment safely.
- Obtain charts of your destination and determine which areas are open to your type of boat.
- Make a realistic plan and stick to it.
- Always tell someone of your travel plans and file a float plan.
- Contact the land manager for area restrictions, closures and permit requirements.
- Check the weather forecast for your destination. Plan clothing, equipment and supplies accordingly.
- Make sure you have enough fuel and oil for the entire trip.
- Make sure your owner’s manual and registration are on board in waterproof containers.
- Always carry a Coast Guard approved working fire extinguisher and warning flares.
- Prepare for the unexpected by packing necessary emergency items.
- Carry a Global Positioning System (GPS) and know how to use it.
- Know distress signals and warning symbols. Know your limitations. Apply sunscreen, drink lots of water and watch your energy level.
- Take a boater education course to learn more about navigating waterways and safe and enjoyable boating.
- Make sure your boat is mechanically up to the task. Be prepared with tools, supplies and a spill kit.
Hints Source: Treat-Lightly.org.
~ Forespar Point of View Team